Sunday, February 20, 2011

Quilt with Love

This past September my sister, mother, and bridal party threw me a bridal shower that was fabulous. Well, actually the whole weekend was one of the best of my life. In lieu of a traditional bachelor/bachelorette type situation, Bryan and I and our friends spent the weekend out in Cutchogue, where we all rented a house and relaxed (and partied). Our friends Patrick and Liz, as well as my sister, bought and prepared all the food we ate that weekend. They did a TREMENDOUS job. Everyone was astounded by the delicious spread. Each meal topped the one before it. It was amazing. I especially enjoyed Saturday night’s pasta extravaganza. Patrick made homemade brioche croutons that make my mouth water to this day. It was amazing- truly. Something else I was so appreciative of was that most of the ingredients for the food they prepped and cooked came from places like Trader Joes and Whole Foods, so we were eating really high quality proteins and produce. I was grateful for that touch. AND lucky for me I have a lot of friends who do not think twice about lending a hand in the kitchen or with general clean-up. It was a real team effort, and I felt so blessed to have so many amazing people be around me at the same time.

At the bridal shower I received so many beautiful gifts. I was literally floored by everyone’s generosity- and not just with the gifts, but with the spirit that accompanied the day. Everyone seemed so genuinely happy. I basked in the warmth that everyone produced. I felt like I was glowing. There is nothing like the feeling you get when so many people willingly and happily come out to help you celebrate a milestone in your life. The only thing that compares was the actual wedding day, where I experienced more love in one place than I ever have before.
At the shower, my bridesmaids presented me with some group gifts- a basket of wine with a fun little poem that marked each new experience Bryan and I would eventually share, and the Pièce de Résistance… a handmade quilt with squares made by my family members and best friends. I literally burst into tears when I saw it. My dear, dear friend Meghan planned it out soup to nuts and was the driving force behind the whole thing. In her family it is a given that the woman getting married will receive a quilt with squares made by family members and friends, and while I do consider Meghan to be a part of my family, I NEVER expected to be included in such a tradition. Meghan’s family has treated me like their own and I love them as my own, but still, I just never expected to be presented with such a thoughtful (and time-consuming!) present. Everyone that made a square did it lovingly – it is obvious that they each thought carefully about what to put on the square and took the time to create an image or quote to reflect what they wanted to say. For those people who weren’t able to make squares, they used their words and the cards they gave me as a way to convey their feelings, which I still have and intend to make a scrapbook out of, as a complement to the quilt.

The quilt is hands down one of the best gifts I have EVER received. Every time I look at it I feel loved and cherished, and I feel like my relationship with Bryan is being celebrated. The quilt defines the phrase “made with love.”

No comments:

Post a Comment